President Trump claims a wheel is older than a wall in plea for border wall. Is he right?Breaking News
tags: ancient history, Trump, wall
President Trump claimed during his visit to the U.S. southern borderon Thursday that wheels predated the creation of the wall — launching almost immediate reaction on social media.
But was he correct?
The president, during his comments in a roundtable event with lawmakers and Border Patrol officials, made the argument for funding a wall along the U.S. - Mexican border by criticizing Democrats and dubbing it a medieval solution that works.
"They say ‘a wall is medieval.’ Well, so is a wheel. A wheel is older than a wall," Trump said. "The wheel is older than the wall, you know that? There are some things that work. You know what? A wheel works and a wall works. Nothing like a wall."
When it comes to walls, one of the first known walls used in civilization to enclose a city was the Wall of Jericho, which surrounded one of the first permanent settlements.
comments powered by Disqus
- What to Stream: A Blazing Interview with Orson Welles By Richard Brody
- Trump’s Attack on the Postal Service Is a Threat to Democracy—and to Rural America
- Kamala Harris and the Growing Political Power of Black Women
- Would DC Statehood Also Give the Trumps Three Electoral Votes?
- US Holocaust Survivor Who Spent Decades Fighting For Family’s Looted Art Dies
- ‘She May Very Well Hold The Key To Biden’s Win’
- Thousands of Women Fought Against the Right to Vote. Their Reasons Still Resonate Today
- After Falwell Stumbles, His Hometown Sees a Leader in Need of Redemption
- White Author Reflects On Finding, Bringing Together Descendants Of Enslaved People In His Family (Audio)
- A Milestone for Palestinian Studies