SOURCE: The Conversation
by Judith Ridner
Evolving from home production utilizing waste to industrial manufacturing using highly engineered ingredients, the making of soap has been a dirty process.
SOURCE: The Baffler
by Peter Manseau
The story behind 'Mia,' the Native American woman who was the face on Land O'Lakes butter packaging for almost a century.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Robert DesJarlait
The son of the Red Lake Ojibwe artist who redesigned "Mia" contends that taking her image off the butter package destroys a symbolic connection between indigenous people and place.
by Shelley Wood
The pitfalls and payoffs of advertising directly to children have consumed psychologists, pediatricians, marketers and anxious parents for the better part of a century, but the ethics of using children and babies for product endorsement has received much less attention.
SOURCE: Press Release -- Adam Matthew
The digitization of America’s pioneering advertising agency records will be a major resource for scholars.
SOURCE: New York Times
A new ad campaign in Los Angeles highlights famous figures from history who may have been autistic.
SOURCE: Time Magazine
For almost a century, Lincoln Motor Company paid homage to our 16th president in name only – hoping the mere mention of the man who saved the Union and abolished slavery would somehow cast an aura of prestige and integrity over their product and resonate with potential car buyers.In December, however, the automaker began using Lincoln’s likeness in its advertising for the first time. The motor company says the move was not tied to the release of Steven Spielberg’s epic film Lincoln – even though parts of the ad for the new MKZ, in which the president’s likeness emerges dramatically from layers of fog, look as if they could’ve been pulled from the cutting room floor.Instead, the automaker told The New York Times, it’s trying to connect its vehicles to Lincoln’s “fortitude and elegant thinking” — and that the timing with the film’s release was just good luck....
- Trump's Praise for China over Tiananmen Square Years ago was a Preview of his Support for Military Crackdowns on the George Floyd Protests
- For the First Time in 30 Years, Hong Kong Will Not Hold a Mass Vigil Commemorating the Tiananmen Square Massacre
- America's New Nihilism
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Releases “Talking About Race” Web Portal
- This Moment Cries Out For Us To Confront Race In America
- The Memo: Trump Lags in Polls as Crises Press
- Explaining the Insurrection Act of 1807 and Looking Back on Nixon’s Law & Order Campaign (Podcast)
- Trump Declared Himself the 'President of Law and Order.' Here's What People Get Wrong About the Origins of That Idea
- The Rebellion in Defense of Black Lives is Rooted in U.S. History. So, too, is Trump’s Authoritarian Rule (Podcast)
- Beverly Hills, Buckhead, SoHo: The New Sites of Urban Unrest