SOURCE: The Atlantic
His racism and intolerance have always been in evidence; only slowly did he begin to understand how to use them to his advantage.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Many of these oral history collections are housed in presidential libraries or academic institutions and provide biographers with richly detailed firsthand accounts from which to reconstruct Oval Office narratives.
by Robin Lindley
A Conversation with Renowned Poet and Human Rights Activist Carolyn Forché on Her New Memoir, Mass Trauma, History, and the Plight of Refugees Today.
SOURCE: New Yorker
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., was one of many black leaders of the civil-rights movement who spoke with Robert Penn Warren in a series of interviews about race and America in the sixties.
SOURCE: New York Times
The Hoboken Historical Museum is collecting oral histories of Hurricane Sandy's effect on the city.
SOURCE: Associated Press
The collection of oral histories is a joint effort by the Kentucky Distillers' Association and the University of Kentucky's Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History.
SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
A federal appeals court on Friday handed an important victory to scholars -- especially those who engage in or rely on oral history -- by reducing from 85 to 11 the number of oral history interviews Boston College must provide to British authorities.In doing so, the appeals court rejected (as it did in an earlier review of the case) the idea that confidential materials collected for scholarship were entitled to a heightened level of protection from outside subpoenas than would be most other documents. But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit said that some "balancing" of conflicting rights could still be in order, and rejected the U.S. government's contention that there was no need for a court review of the appropriateness of the the subpoenas."[W]e rule that the enforcement of subpoenas is an inherent judicial function which, by virtue of the doctrine of separation of powers, cannot be constitutionally divested from the courts of the United States," said the ruling....
- What to Stream: A Blazing Interview with Orson Welles By Richard Brody
- Trump’s Attack on the Postal Service Is a Threat to Democracy—and to Rural America
- Kamala Harris and the Growing Political Power of Black Women
- Would DC Statehood Also Give the Trumps Three Electoral Votes?
- US Holocaust Survivor Who Spent Decades Fighting For Family’s Looted Art Dies
- ‘She May Very Well Hold The Key To Biden’s Win’
- Thousands of Women Fought Against the Right to Vote. Their Reasons Still Resonate Today
- After Falwell Stumbles, His Hometown Sees a Leader in Need of Redemption
- White Author Reflects On Finding, Bringing Together Descendants Of Enslaved People In His Family (Audio)
- A Milestone for Palestinian Studies