SOURCE: Washington Post
Legislation that would bar discussion of menstruation in Florida schools will likely put girls at risk of emotional distress when their periods begin. Historians stress that women have always sought this information despite stigmas against providing it.
Republican attacks on cultural issues within America’s public schools follow a familiar pattern.
SOURCE: New York Times
Retro Report's latest collaboration with the New York Times examines the roots and social impact of Evangelical purity culture, both for individuals and American society's approach to sexuality.
SOURCE: Texas Observer
The Long, Winding Road that Led to the SBOE’s Decision for Texas Schools to Teach Abstinence-Plus Sex Education
As with social studies, sex education in Texas has been subject to the control of social conservatives in positions of power in the state's educational establishment, demonstrating how the movement has shaped textbooks and curriculum for a generation. This may gradually be changing.
SOURCE: Nursing Clio
by Elizabeth A. Nelson, Emily S. Beckman, and Modupe Labode
Therapist Lisa Freeman bucked the authorities of an Indiana psychiatric hospital to advocate for the right of residents to have consensual sex and sex education. Her work shows the ways that paternalistic values are embedded in state treatment of people with disabilities.
by Jonathan Zimmerman
Globalization has served to curtail rather than expand school-based sexual instruction. The more the world has become interconnected, the more sex ed has come under attack.
- Josh Hawley Earns F in Early American History
- Does Germany's Holocaust Education Give Cover to Nativism?
- "Car Brain" Has Long Normalized Carnage on the Roads
- Hawley's Use of Fake Patrick Henry Quote a Revealing Error
- Health Researchers Show Segregation 100 Years Ago Harmed Black Health, and Effects Continue Today
- Nelson Lichtenstein on a Half Century of Labor History
- Can America Handle a 250th Anniversary?
- New Research Shows British Industrialization Drew Ironworking Methods from Colonized and Enslaved Jamaicans
- The American Revolution Remains a Hotly Contested Symbolic Field
- Untangling Fact and Fiction in the Story of a Nazi-Era Brothel