Blogs Skipped History with Ben Tumin How NY Covered Up a Massacre—and Helped Spark Mass IncarcerationSep 22, 2021
How NY Covered Up a Massacre—and Helped Spark Mass Incarceration
tags: education,history,Attica,Attica Prison Uprising,skipped history
I come bearing the second of two parts exploring the Attica Prison uprising and its legacy today. In Blood in the Water, Heather Ann Thompson recounts the connection between New York's coverup of brutality at Attica and the rise of mass incarceration. In our episode, we try to do her arguments and the sacrifices of Attica's prisoners justice:
You can also watch the full episode on Instagram here. And ICYMI, you can view Part I on the uprising here.
Today’s story comes from Blood in the Water by Heather Ann Thompson.
See you in two weeks with our next episode!
comments powered by Disqus
- A Secret Joke Clouds Harvard's Affirmative Action Case
- An Amateur Historian Helped Find Richard III's Remains Under a Parking Garage. Her Story Hits the Screen
- Why LAUSD Teachers Walked Out
- The Role of US Evangelicals in Radicalizing Ugandans Against LGBTQ Rights
- Culture Warrior Chris Rufo is DeSantis's Most Important Ally
- The PR War for Cancer Awareness has Reduced the Stigma, but not the Cost, of Illness
- The Jim Crow Reign of Terror
- Francesca Morgan Dissects the American Obsession with Genealogy
- Florida Legislation Recalls the Tragic History behind Fights for Sex Education
- Kate Strasdin Breaks Down Authenticity on Bridgerton and other Costume Dramas